ON THE RITUAL
OF THE SPIRIT VISION
Issued by the
of the Golden Dawn
Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law.
The Tattwa of Spirit is Akasha, the Ęther, and its symbol is an Indigo Ovoid. The Zelator aspiring to the grade of the Dominus Liminis should construct this Tattwa symbol, making it about two or three inches in height. It should be used by the Zelator for purposes of Clairvoyance, that is, to investigate the Element of Spirit on the Astral Plane. Such is its purpose in the Ritual of the Spirit Vision.
The Tattwas symbolize the elemental currents or sub-planes of the Astral Light which influence the multifarious operations of Nature. Each Tattwa prevails over the others during certain times of the day. Akasha prevails for the space of two hours, commencing at Sunrise. It then merges into the element of Vayu, which then merges into the element of Tejas, and this into Apas, and this finally into Prithivi. The cycle is then repeated. The influence of each Tattwa is said to dominate over the others for the space of two hours, till it merges into the next Tattwa.
Moreover, the five Tattwas are subdivided into twenty-five sub-elements. For each Tattwa contains within itself the constituents of all the others; it is fivefold in nature, being composed of four sub-elements including itself. Each one of the twenty-five sub-elements prevails for 24 minutes during the two hour period in which a particular Tattwa prevails over the others during the day.
Let us now analyze the Ritual of the Spirit Vision, step by step.
1. First, you are to perform a proper banishing in your place of working. The Lesser Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram will suffice.
2. You are then to invoke the Element of Spirit by way of the Greater Ritual of the Pentagram, tracing the appropriate Spirit Pentagrams in each quarter of the Temple.
In "Liber O Vel Manus et Sagittae", Aleister Crowley stated the following: "Success in banishing is known by a feeling of cleanliness in the atmosphere; success in invoking by a feeling of holiness. It is unfortunate that these terms are so vague."
3. Now you are to face the East, which pertains to the Element of Spirit. Akasha does not really pertain to a specific direction, but rather to the Center of it all, in the midst of the four elements. You may, however, face East for Akasha, based on its magical connection with the element of Air.
As for seating yourself in a comfortable posture, you may compose yourself in the simple God Asana, Dragon Asana, or even the Lotus Asana, or in any other posture that will neither distract nor divert your concentration from the task at hand.
4. The Spirit Tattwa symbol should be placed in the Center of the Temple before the commencement of the Rite, against or within a short distance of a white surface. At this point in the Ritual you should concentrate on the Spirit Tattwa, fixing your complete attention on the symbol.
5. The vibration of the name of the Spirit Tattwa helps to fix your concentration on the Tattwa symbol as you gaze upon it.
6. Once you are completely concentrated on the Spirit Tattwa symbol, attaining Dharana upon it, you then transfer the symbol to a white surface. You will immediately see the symbol in its complementary color. This comes about naturally, and does not require any effort on the part of the Magician.
7. You now close your eyes and imagine that the Spirit Tattwa symbol is in front of you, and you enlarge the image of the Spirit Tattwa to the size of a door.
8. You now pass through the door in your imagination, giving the Sign of the Enterer, to enter the Plane of Spirit. You should be clothed in a White Robe to symbolize Spirit.
9. You now trace the Invoking Pentagrams of Spirit, vibrating the Divine Names AHIH and AGLA, until a guide approaches you. Test this guide with the Spirit Pentagrams and the Signs of the Dominus Liminis.
10. When the vision of the Spirit Tattwa is complete, the guide of the Element will lead you back to the door from where you commenced the Spirit Vision. Give thanks to the guide for his assistance, return as you entered through the door, and withdraw back into your physical body, giving the Sign of Silence.
11. Return to normal consciousness.
12. Lastly, perform the Greater Banishing Ritual of the Pentagram. Then record and analyze your vision in your Magical Diary.
Love is the law, love under will.
Thelemic Order of the Golden Dawn.
All rights reserved.